Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 8: Meditation Part I

Today, I don't really have an exercise to do. I'm supposed to figure out whether Eastern or Western style meditation is right for me. In Eastern style, you're not supposed to try and block out your thoughts. Rather, it is suggested that you observe your thought processes in a detached way. Some techniques are used in this form of meditation, like repetition of mantras, focusing on one's breath, or focusing vision on a candle flame.

Western style meditation is more active. This style uses guided imagery and imagination.

It's hard for me to say which style I think is better for me. During counseling for my anxiety, I use something similar to Eastern style. It's hard, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. It helps slow down my mind and weed out the clutter. Western style is much easier for me, but it tends to make my mind busier. The next few days involve meditation and techniques, so I'll experiment with both Eastern and Western to see which I like better.

No comments:

Post a Comment