Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 14: Re-thinking God

As you can probably tell, today's exercise is about god. Specifically, a monotheistic view of god. Before I answer the questions (since that's all I need to do today) I'm going to share a quote from the book I thought was informative.

"In Wicca, the divine is not a person, nor is the divine something that is 'greater than' each of us. Wiccans view the divine as an energy that manifests through us at all times. It who and what we are."

What images of god did you hold as a child?
To me, God (capitalized!) was an old guy with bushy eyebrows and a long beard. Picture the Far Side god and that's what I usually had in my mind. I think I read too much Far Side back then. . .
How have these childhood images influenced your understanding of the divine today?
I always wondered why god had to be male. And old. And so confusing. That I think is one of the main reasons I never quite understood Christianity.
Are the images of god that you know actually representative of god's fundamental nature?
This question seems to assume that I'm thinking of only one god. I don't like the monotheistic view, it makes sense to me that there should be different gods or energies in charge of different things.
Are images of god important?

I can't say I believe in a god or gods per se, so I don't really know.
What is the purpose in believing in deity?
To explain the unexplainable, to feel like there's someone in charge that can change things if you ask them nicely enough.
Do we cheat ourselves at any level by characterizing god through image?
I really don't know.
Does it bother you to see the word "god" not capitalized in this book?
Not at all. I always thought it was weird that it usually is capitalized. It's like referring to
your pet as your Cat. Unless you're german, capitalizing a noun is not correct. Why can't "God" have a name, hmm?
Does the word "god" need capitalization?
No, mayyyybe if you're using it as a title along with a name.
What automatic, conditioned responses do you have in relation to words, letters, and grammatical formalities?
I am a self-proclaimed grammar nazi. I make sure things are correct, and will even correct signs if I have a pen in hand. Misspellings and improper grammar bother the hell out of me.



1 comment: