Sunday, September 6, 2009

Day 1: Be One with the Earth

Today's exercise was for me to connect with the Earth. I was to go outside, close my eyes, and try to feel the connections between myself and people, plants, animals, and objects. Afterward, I was supposed to spend the day acting in accord to my heightened awareness to my surroundings.

So, I went outside and laid down on the grass. Cloudy sky, bright moon, chirping crickets, wet crabgrass. I couldn't visualize roots as the book told me to, thanks to the factory spotlights, drunken cheerleaders, and passing bass-thumping traffic, but I could feel a connection. I could feel the earth holding me up, I could feel the crickets hopping through the grass, feel the tree standing strong. I felt connected to all of this, small but important. I had a difficult time connecting to the man-made things like the cars and the factory; I felt like they were distracting me.

This was a very pleasant experience. I felt even more relaxed than when I do my relaxation exercises for my anxiety. I was. . .calm. My brain was still cluttered, but I wasn't worrying. I think I did something right with this exercise. I shall have to do this when I'm stressed out.

1 comment: